Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
We sometimes worry ourselves over the question: what is a Christian supposed to do? How are we to act, and how do we deal with those around us? This Sunday's epistle (Romans 12:6-14) deals with exactly that. We will talk about that some on Sunday.
1. The coming week: We will serve Great Vespers on Saturday evening at 6:00 p.m., and Divine Liturgy Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. On Wednesday evening we will serve a moleben for the sick and the suffering at 6:00 p.m., followed by Inquirers Class at 6:30.
Bear in mind that on Thursday, August 1, the Dormition Fast begins, and will continue until the Feast of the Dormition on August 15. Fasting rules can be found on the parish calendar.
2. Welcome news: I am pleased to tell you this week that Metropolitan Hilarion, of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, has blessed Reader John Henson to return to St. Nicholas. Not only does that mean that we will have the benefit of Reader John's presence, but also his two children, the younger of which will be baptized fairly soon, I think. Many thanks to His Eminence for his pastoral act.
3. 10th Anniversary: We will celebrate ten years of worship in these mountains on August 11 with a potluck dinner following Divine Liturgy. Please mark your calendars to attend this joyful event.
4. A reminder that Sunday school for the children is suspended during August. Subdeacon Maximos and Emilia will resume classes in September.
5. We will start a new adult education class after Labor Day. I have received some excellent suggestions for topics and book studies, and I'm dithering over a final choice. Hopefully this will be announced soon.
I hope to see you all this weekend!